Final Reflection

The main reason why I decided to take BADM 357 this semester is simply because it seems very interesting and fun for me. As technology is growing and advancing, the cost of implementing them has been getting cheaper over time. The use of 3D printing has been increasing in many industries to prototype products and produce parts as it is inexpensive and has the potential to produce at a much faster pace than the traditional way. Knowing this, I thought learning more about 3D printing will be beneficial in the future as it may be able to help open up more opportunity for me. Since none of the courses that I have taken so far taught me anything about 3D printing nor how to make physical objects and as I only have a few classes to take this semester in order to graduate, I thought I should try to learn something new while I can before I do not have a chance to do it.

Prior to taking this course, I thought that we would only be learning about 3D printing, but that was not the case. We got to learn so much more than just 3D printing, including learning about the sensors, the controllers, and the Arduino and circuits. As I have zero experience with any of the content that we got to learn prior to entering this class, it took me a long time to understand everything we learned. The closest experience to the content that was taught in this course that I have is working on a project where we improve an application’s user interface in order for the user to have a better experience when using the application. With my very little experience, when we had to make a Lego block on Fusion 360 for example, it took me a few hours because I missed a small detail, and I could not get the part that I was working on to line up correctly. In addition, spatial thinking was a challenge for me. Learning how the electricity and the circuit work was also very challenging since I have no background in this area. In order to understand how everything work, it took me quite a long time.

After getting to work with Fusion 360 for a few times and learning how to use Arduino as well as using other tools, I have learned to become more cautious and more precise in anything I do by thinking carefully about what the outcome may be first before executing. As we start working on our project, we faced a problem with the size of our vending machine boxes. The motors were too small to support our initial design of the project, so we had to scale down and decrease the dimension of the boxes by half in order for the motors to support the boxes. We had to change the locking mechanism as well as the design of the box in order for it to work and to be more user-friendly. In addition, we had to reprint our lock multiple times as all the printers are different, and the prints did not come out the way we wanted it to be as it did not fit the part that came with the motors perfectly. The project has taught me to be creative in finding different ways to make things work and be patient with the process. These are valuable lessons for me as it can apply to not just work life, but personal life as well.  

After taking different courses for my other major, Supply Chain Management, I have also learned that there are many ways to solve different problems. On top of the performance of the methodology chosen, it also depends on the individual’s perspective on how to best solve different problems. Similar to what I have learned from taking this course, I learned to be creative in thinking about the problem in order to find the most effective solution. Although there are some similarities between the courses, this course allows me to see it from different perspective as this course allows me to look at the physical product, which is new to me. In order to succeed in the supply chain field, I would need to have creativity as well as patience in order to find the best solution to solve the given problem.

This course has taught me a valuable lesson to better prepare myself for any circumstances that may come my way. Upon graduation this upcoming week, I will be pursuing my dream in becoming a professional golfer starting in my home country, Thailand. When I become more stable, I would also want to open my own business. The lessons that I have learned from taking this course can be applied to both careers that I want to pursue. In order for me to become successful in professional golf, I will need to be creative in finding ways to make myself better every day to better compete with others. In addition, I would also need to be patient in order to focus on what I can do and can control instead of what is out of my control. On the other hand, when I am ready to start my own business, I will need to develop a business plan and think thoroughly of the risks that I may face while I start my business. I will need to be creative in order to think of ways to market my business and create a competitive advantage for my business. In addition, as business usually takes time for it to start becoming profitable, I will need to be patient and trust in the process in order to keep myself motivated to keep putting in all my effort in pushing my business to move forward. Although this class has taught me a lot in how to use different tools such as 3D printer, laser cutter, Arduino, and sensors, this class has also taught me a lot about the mental aspect of how to work effectively and efficiently. By being more precise, cautious, creative, and patient, it will allow me to have a better chance of succeeding in anything I want to pursue.